Main Menu

FD Specials

Started by rucker73, April 02, 2011, 02:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rucker73

A couple of questions about the FD specials (Soul Gem, Standoff, Monster Island etc.)

Can other characters play non-attacking or defensive specials such as specials that effect venture totals (+3or-3)  the draw 3 specials, Stars and Garters or even artifacts?

and the other question is: If the the targeted character is KO'd is the battle over, or is the FD special just discarded and the rest of the battle continues as normal?
"Wade! into action!"

Palatinus

Anything that is not an attack or defense should be able to be played by the other characters, but teammate avoids would not be allowed and neither would an AF special that targeted your opponent.  One that says opponent is -3 to venture is an attack.  One that says you are +3 to venture is not so would be fine.

Also, the special lasts the battle so if one of the characters in question is KO'd then the battle ends as if both players had passed.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Palatinus on April 02, 2011, 09:51:49 AM
Anything that is not an attack or defense should be able to be played by the other characters, but teammate avoids would not be allowed and neither would an AF special that targeted your opponent.  One that says opponent is -3 to venture is an attack.  One that says you are +3 to venture is not so would be fine.

Also, the special lasts the battle so if one of the characters in question is KO'd then the battle ends as if both players had passed.

There's actually an errata for this code. No one else can play any cards at all, regardless of what non-attack/defense effect they might have. no boosts, not grid alterating cards, etc. this is how it reads:

QuoteFD All version of this Special should read "Only {character} and target character may make any actions for the remainder of battle." (attack, defend, make offensive actions, etc.)
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Nostalgic

The 'guide to playing specials' says, "When played, this special allows the character who played it to target an opponent's character. Target may either avoid this special or it may be negated. If this special successfully 'hits' the opponent's character, than only the character that played this special and the target character may attack, defend, or play cards for the remainder of the battle. No teamwork, ally, or tactic cards may be played since no other member of either team may take any actions. Either character affected by this special may play 'any hero' specials. If either character is KO'd, even the character who played this special, then that player must pass their turn or concede since they no longer have a character who can play cards. Cards that are unusable or unplayable are not discarded and may be used for bluffing purposes."

There you go...
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."

rucker73

Thank you, one and all.
"Wade! into action!"

gameplan.exe

I have a new question about the FD card and how it interacts with another card.

If I'm using Morph and I play Standoff via Activator, and it lands...

And then I play Substitute Death...

Will that (effectively) end the battle? or will my newly revived character, then be in the Standoff?
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Demacus

That's a darn good question.  I highly doubt the rules even touches on that scenario.  Based on the fact that only one of the characters locked into the FD remains, and he has no "legal" target to attack or defend against, I would say that it should end the battle.  Seems like a desperate act, but if you can drop a BJ on your FD'ed character to keep him from being attacked, I would think Substituting death would removed the targetted character in a similar way.  "You can't attack him cause he's dead." 

However, if THIS is the official ruling, as written, " If either character is KO'd, even the character who played this special, then that player must pass their turn or concede since they no longer have a character who can play cards." then I would imagine the new character simply becomes your opponents target, but you are locked without the ability to fight back.

Anyone else, opinions?

steve2275

can we still play activators tho?
i mean what about using those to still attack?

thetrooper27

It seems to me that you can't play Substitute Death at all if FD is played.  If you play Standoff on Morph via battlesite, then only Morph can be the ko'd character, and he can't substitute himself.  Someone has to die.

If you play Standoff on a teammate, and that teammate is ko'd, you can't play Substitute Death because of the restriction on any other character than the target of Standoff being able to make any actions that battle.

I've seen some other posts regarding Substitute Death and I've been left confused, so if there's something I'm missing about Substitute Death, someone please fill me in.  Pretty please?
"wow...never notice how JACKED pym is in that pic before!" -breadmaster

gameplan.exe

Quote from: thetrooper27 on December 09, 2012, 08:59:24 PM
It seems to me that you can't play Substitute Death at all if FD is played.  If you play Standoff on Morph via battlesite, then only Morph can be the ko'd character, and he can't substitute himself.  Someone has to die.

If you play Standoff on a teammate, and that teammate is ko'd, you can't play Substitute Death because of the restriction on any other character than the target of Standoff being able to make any actions that battle.

I've seen some other posts regarding Substitute Death and I've been left confused, so if there's something I'm missing about Substitute Death, someone please fill me in.  Pretty please?

I don't see why Morph couldn't use Substitute Death if he's in the middle of an FD fight.

If Morph uses Standoff, then he's locked into a battle with a single target. He and that target are the only characters allowed to play any cards.

Substitute Death does not involve any action by teammates, though. It KO's Morph and revives a KO'd teammate... He's not targeting his teammate, his teammate isn't playing any cards or taking any other actions... where's the conflict?
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

thetrooper27

Where I'm coming from, its because you're supposed to play Substitute Death "during current battle 'comma' after one teammate is ko'd.  That's where I was confused by other posts.  It seems everyone is playing Substitute Death as a resurrection special.  I never read the card that way.  Based on the wording, and the punctuation, playing the card is directly related to someone being ko'd this battle.

You attack my Beast with a level 20 fighting attack.  It's successful, and ko's Beast.  At this time, and only at this time, Substitute Death becomes playable, because someone was ko'd (the stipulation required to play the card during current battle).  I play it, and exchange Morph for Beast in the Dead Heroes Pile.  All hits that were on Morph are now on Beast, and all cards placed to Morph are discarded.

I suppose you could read the card to the effect that you could exchange Morph for any ko'd teammate, not just Beast for the remainder of battle, but that doesn't strike me as the case either.  Exchange "ko'd teammate", again as it relates to the first part of the card's text, implies that you exchange Morph for the teammate that was ko'd.  If a teamwork knocked out 2 characters, maybe then it would make sense to substitute Morph for either/or.  Regardless, the card isn't even playable "current battle" unless "one teammate is ko'd."  If you Standoff any other character, Morph can't play Substitute Death.  If you Standoff Morph, no other teammate should be getting ko'd because they are unable to be attacked.

So, I see in the wiki where it says that "This Special does not need to be played during the battle that a character is KO'd."  Where did this come from?  Was there errata on this card?  Because based solely on the way it reads, it seems to imply the exact opposite. 

Please note that I'm not intentionally debating, and I'm also not disputing playing the card this way.  I'll play it the way the wiki says to... the way my OP bros tell me to.  This is all for my understanding of the game.  I don't wanna be a buffoon forever. ???

gameplan.exe

well, Substute Death never says it has to be played during the same battle, after a KO. The wording is only to emphasize that you cannot put it in play before a character is KO'd.

say Beast is KO'd in the first battle.
in the second battle, I'm plying Sub'Death in the current Battle, which is also after Beast was KO'd.

now, if the Special said, "Play in same battle, after a teammate is KO'd" then that'd be a different implication altogether. however, the Sub'Death could still be played if the sequence went like this:
Opp: KO beast.
me: play Standoff from Morph
Opp: whatever else
me: Play Substitute Death
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

thetrooper27

Alright, lets say you play Standoff on your character and on my character other than Morph.  My character dies.  Morph can't play the special, because of Standoff.  Right?

And in any other case, I can play Substitute Death during current battle as long as any teammate has been ko'd, period, this round or previously, and I can exchange it for ANY ko'd character in my defeated heroes pile as my action on my turn?

steve2275

http://overpower.ca/wiki/FD
QuoteEither character affected by this Special may play 'Any Hero' Specials.
ill assume that applies to activators as well

since any character can play both card types

http://overpower.ca/wiki/HP
the morph special

Nostalgic

Quote from: steve2275 on December 11, 2012, 07:29:18 AM
http://overpower.ca/wiki/FD
QuoteEither character affected by this Special may play 'Any Hero' Specials.
ill assume that applies to activators as well

since any character can play both card types

http://overpower.ca/wiki/HP
the morph special

You post a question to which the answer seems pretty obvious then later answer your own question?  ::)
Quote from: ncannelora on December 09, 2012, 09:34:00 PM
Quote from: thetrooper27 on December 09, 2012, 08:59:24 PM

I don't see why Morph couldn't use Substitute Death if he's in the middle of an FD fight.

If Morph uses Standoff, then he's locked into a battle with a single target. He and that target are the only characters allowed to play any cards.

Substitute Death does not involve any action by teammates, though. It KO's Morph and revives a KO'd teammate... He's not targeting his teammate, his teammate isn't playing any cards or taking any other actions... where's the conflict?

This is how I read it too. I believe play the FD effectively ends the battle. It would be a draw if no damage has been done yet. This is different from playing a JB special that moves a character into reserve and I believe would also effectively end the battle. (I think this was assumed to be like the battle was conceded.)
ncannelora -"I don't care if you're Captain - freakin' - America, you ALWAYS avoid a Standoff with Wolverine!!!"

a_noble_kaz - "If Mr Fantastic had an AO, he would be the god of Overpower."