White Queen - Business Partner (NF)

Started by gameplan.exe, June 07, 2011, 06:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameplan.exe

This is a uinique card, from THE MARVELS. It reads,

QuoteWhite Queen may play any Power cards playable by Target Teammate for remainder of game.

I love the concept of this card and it's particularly useful for the X-Mansion Home Base. Here's my question, though:

Should the card stay in effect even after the "Target Teammate" is KO'd?

The closest reference I can see is from the Image Artifact cards:

Quote* 6E 6A  MYRLU SYMBIOTE  <IM> {VR} [OPD]
     Teammate may play any Power card currently usable by Front Line for
       defense.

* 6F 6A  THE WITCHBLADE  <IM> {VR} [OPD]
     Teammate may play any Power card currently usable by Front Line to attack.

The biggest difference, though, is that the Artifacts specify that the Power card must be currently usable by the Front Line, but also that the Artifacts don't target any one Teammate who must be able to use the Power card already, unlike the NF-Special.

It seems that it could go either way. I tend to be in favor of making things more playable, though. So, I'd say that if White Queen plays this with Professor X, then she should be able to play lv.8E and lv.7I Power cards for the remainder of the Game, even if Professor dies.

What do you guys think?
(please backup / support your arguments  :))
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Oscorp

I believe that it is for remainder of game.  I back this argument up with the meta rule about duration of specials being based on if it is an OPD or not.  (like Social outcast being decreed for battle)

Seeing as how the White Queen special is OPD I would say it is game lasting. :-\
I'm rubber and you're glue...

Ranerdar

I'd like to start by saying, I agree with your ruling to make it more useful and I think this is how we should play it.

Now with that being said, the card states "power cards playable by target teammate". One could argue that once teammate is dead, no cards are playable by him, thereby making your card useless.
I'm polymerized tree sap and you're an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off of me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

Jack

http://overpower.ca/archive/Ripayuheadoff/marvelguide/NF.html

QuoteOther info - I originally posted that this card could only be played offensively.  This card may be played by White Queen defensively, but only if the attack is defended with a Power card and that Power card could not have been played by White Queen without this Special in play.
    If the Target Teammate is KO'd, this card is removed from play.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Ranerdar on June 08, 2011, 11:27:26 AM
I'd like to start by saying, I agree with your ruling to make it more useful and I think this is how we should play it.

Now with that being said, the card states "power cards playable by target teammate". One could argue that once teammate is dead, no cards are playable by him, thereby making your card useless.

You make a good point. The Power card isn't playable by Professor if Professor is dead XP

Post Merge: July 11, 2011, 06:19:30 PM

Also, in the spirit of the card itself, if your Business Partner is dead, you no longer have a Partnership! lol
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

breadmaster

so i've been using white queen lately (but not this card)

the EEs (remove power card from teammate) seem to set the precedent that a character is still a teammate after ko'd

the tricky part, as mentioned, is that the power cards must be useable by the teammate...it's a pickle

Demacus

I would err on the side of Breadmaster here, as far as the teammate trick.  As for the "powercards usable by" I would imagine that would be locked in at the time of the Special being played.

If you had Prof X, White Queen and Psylocke on a team, and you drop Business Partner on Prof X, White Queen would gain access to all of his power cards based on grid.  If you then later used Psylocke to hit Prof X with a Super Soldier Serum, White Queen would not gain his boosted fighting grid as well.  I would treat the special to be similar to Beyonder's ruling.  He can play any cards his teammates can play, and if Beyonder is the last man standing, he simply keeps the stats of his last remaining teammate.  I would imagine that White Queen wouldn't lose the benefit of any boosted stats simply because her partner bit it.  Its not like the character needs some kind of contact with the other character for the boost in power.

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Demacus on February 27, 2012, 07:47:36 AM
... I would treat the special to be similar to Beyonder's ruling.  He can play any cards his teammates can play, and if Beyonder is the last man standing, he simply keeps the stats of his last remaining teammate.  I would imagine that White Queen wouldn't lose the benefit of any boosted stats simply because her partner bit it.  Its not like the character needs some kind of contact with the other character for the boost in power.

I hear what you're saying about Beyonder, but I don't think this is quite the same. Her grid isn't changing to become the teammate's grid. She's gaining access to her teammate's playable Power Cards, because of a partnership. On that note, I think it still comes down to whether or not the cards are playable by the teammate, not that she's gaining their grid (a la Rogue's AR). With that in mind, I also think that if SSS is played on Prof X, then White Queen would also be able to play the Fighting Power cards, since she has that partnership with ProfX, who now has expanded abilities.

I see this card a little bit like Four Freedom Plaza... It's allowing shared access to Power cards, except it's between only 2 characters, and it's offense and defense. If the "supplier" goes down, you no longer have access to those Power cards, I think.
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

Demacus

In any case, the card opens White Queen up to being a MAJOR player outside of her own comfort zone.  You could slip her onto a team with Heroes for Hire and then you'd have 1 character who could play up to a 2E-7F-8S-4I and another character who can play up to a 7E-7F-8S-6I...  Her stat potential becomes deadly in the Teamwork lead and follow-up departments.  Lead with an 8S and she could follow up with a 7E, 7F, or 6I, by herself.  Hell, she could set up the 7E with her teammates bringing the beat with the 8S and 7F follow ups.  The true question is, is it worth killing 1 card to allow her a greater range of power card access?  Would her ability to play those cards REALLY change anything at all, especially if she can only play those cards while that specific teammate is alive? Would she truly be more of a threat? I guess with a well timed Corporate Cutthroat, that 8S would no be blockable by a special card, which would make it a near guaranteed hit on a character without an 8 in their grid.  Nasty 2 stat attack.

Just a thought.  :)

gameplan.exe

Quote from: Demacus on February 27, 2012, 05:25:14 PM
In any case, the card opens White Queen up to being a MAJOR player outside of her own comfort zone.  You could slip her onto a team with Heroes for Hire and then you'd have 1 character who could play up to a 2E-7F-8S-4I and another character who can play up to a 7E-7F-8S-6I...  Her stat potential becomes deadly in the Teamwork lead and follow-up departments.  Lead with an 8S and she could follow up with a 7E, 7F, or 6I, by herself.  Hell, she could set up the 7E with her teammates bringing the beat with the 8S and 7F follow ups.  The true question is, is it worth killing 1 card to allow her a greater range of power card access?  Would her ability to play those cards REALLY change anything at all, especially if she can only play those cards while that specific teammate is alive? Would she truly be more of a threat? I guess with a well timed Corporate Cutthroat, that 8S would no be blockable by a special card, which would make it a near guaranteed hit on a character without an 8 in their grid.  Nasty 2 stat attack.

Just a thought.  :)

It's overall value is certainly debatable. I would only use it if it was taking her up to an 8 somewhere because, yes, that follow up off her JW would be all the more powerful. Also, it could be particularly helpful if she's the only non-max-8, or as you said, if you're putting her on an off-suited team.
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27

steve2275

well its does say power cards
not power grid

so she wouldnt be able to play those 7f and 8s tw in the reply 8 post

gameplan.exe

Quote from: steve2275 on February 29, 2012, 11:41:13 AMwell its does say power cards
not power grid

so she wouldnt be able to play those 7f and 8s tw in the reply 8 post

He didn't say she could make the 7F and 8S Teamork attacks, he said she could make the follow ups of 7E-7F-6I...

Quote from: Demacus on February 27, 2012, 05:25:14 PM
... Lead with an 8S and she could follow up with a 7E, 7F, or 6I, by herself... she could set up the 7E with her teammates bringing the beat with the 8S and 7F follow ups....
- breadmaster

- thetrooper27