OF Specials - prof x/captain america marvels

Started by breadmaster, August 21, 2011, 03:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

breadmaster

i've asked about these before, but i want to clear it up.

the drawn card: does it have to be usable by prof/cap to play it in the same turn? 

does the card have to specifically be an attack to be played (could i draw a negate, and offensively negate an opponents buff card?)

can the drawn card be kept/played if it is a duplicate?  the metas seem to suggest no, since it's not mentioned, but the text on the card seems to suggest yes (ie: it's separate from your hand)

if it's a tw, i HAVE to be able to make follow ups to use it? same with ally?

BigBadHarve

Quote from: breadmaster on August 21, 2011, 03:38:11 PM
i've asked about these before, but i want to clear it up.

the drawn card: does it have to be usable by prof/cap to play it in the same turn? 

does the card have to specifically be an attack to be played (could i draw a negate, and offensively negate an opponents buff card?)

can the drawn card be kept/played if it is a duplicate?  the metas seem to suggest no, since it's not mentioned, but the text on the card seems to suggest yes (ie: it's separate from your hand)

if it's a tw, i HAVE to be able to make follow ups to use it? same with ally?

It does not have to be usable by Prof/Cap, but it must be usable generally speaking. So, if Shockwave rocks the world is in play, and you draw an energy icon, then you wouldn't be able to use it.

It must be an attack to be playable. The card actually states this - 'if drawn card is an attack.'  So a debuff that affects the opponent would be legal, but a boost for your own team would not.

Yes, as far as I understand it can be played if it's a duplicate, because it's not being added to your hand so no check for duplicates comes into play.

Teamworks are only usable if there's a follow up, as per normal rules.

-BBH

gameplan.exe

Quote from: BigBadHarve on August 21, 2011, 05:13:56 PM
It does not have to be usable by Prof/Cap, but it must be usable generally speaking. So, if Shockwave rocks the world is in play, and you draw an energy icon, then you wouldn't be able to use it.

It must be an attack to be playable. The card actually states this - 'if drawn card is an attack.'  So a debuff that affects the opponent would be legal, but a boost for your own team would not.

Yes, as far as I understand it can be played if it's a duplicate, because it's not being added to your hand so no check for duplicates comes into play.

Teamworks are only usable if there's a follow up, as per normal rules.

-BBH

That's pretty much how I see it, too. Ally would be the same as TW, that you have to be able to fulfill it's normal rollow up requirement
"i was thinking again about the balance/realism issue... and despite the grids, i DO really like this game"
- breadmaster

"Even comics arent' as much fun as OverPower."
- thetrooper27

Demacus

Technically, by the definition of "Drawing" doesn't the card go into your hand i.e. check for duplicates?  It doesn't say to "Reveal" the top card and use it if it's an attack/discard to dead if it's not.  Though, I guess "reveal" isn't an OP keyword, and I may be bringing in outside vocabulary from other games on this.

Palatinus

Quote from: Demacus on August 26, 2011, 04:57:02 PM
Technically, by the definition of "Drawing" doesn't the card go into your hand i.e. check for duplicates?  It doesn't say to "Reveal" the top card and use it if it's an attack/discard to dead if it's not.  Though, I guess "reveal" isn't an OP keyword, and I may be bringing in outside vocabulary from other games on this.

I didn't think that cards put into your hand automatically reacted to duplicates.  As far as I know all draw cards specifically say to discard duplicates or not.

Demacus

Honestly, if all it does it check to see if it's an attack, then Capt /Prof can attack with it immediately, it shouldn't check for dupes, but if it goes into the hand at all, it doesn't say not to discard for dupes.

I think I prefer the flip-and-throw method of the card myself, cause it makes it useful since the first part of the attack may or may not be blocked based on opponents hand advantage as well as if the initial attack might KO/make venture insurmountable.

Also, it would be really crappy to have to check for dupes and discard one AFTER your initial attack was blocked already.  That would just make for crappy luck and mechanics.

Doctor Doom could use one of these nasty little tricks.  Would make him considerably more considerable when looking at characters with which to build.  Make it a 6F that if blocked allows him to flip-and-throw if the top is an attack.  Call it Calculated Strike. 

OR better yet, make it a lvl 3 Multi and take away the OPD restriction.

The Dude

I'd go with the it does not matter if it is a duplicate, and it should be played immediately myself, but I would suggest anyone interested in a quasi-official rulling look at meta rules for Two Face's Flip of the Coin since the wording for the secondary effect on Cap's card in question is nearly identical to the Two Face card.

Demacus