LO specials

Started by mattkoz, October 02, 2011, 01:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattkoz

Should the text on an LO that says "avoid an attack made with a power card" be construed to mean only simple power card attacks or can this also avoid something like "Remove Visor" when that special is combined with an energy power card?

Jack

It can avoid any attack that contains a power card. So plain power cards, follow ups to teamwork, single attacks like Remove Visor, Doubleshot attacks, etc.

The reason, it would be similar to the LO that avoids Universe cards. Otherwise, you could only block the top of a teamwork and ally cards.

AO user

Discard duplicates:  are you obliged to discard the draw card OR can you toss its duplicate in hand?  For example invisible woman got KO'd and no one can play the 6E PC in hand.  If a 6AP is drawn, can the 6E be tossed?   

MHC

Quote from: steve2275 on February 21, 2015, 08:44:04 PM
the drawn card must be discarded

This is not what I would have expected if both the original card and the newly drawn card are in your hand.  Can you point me to the rule or meta-rule that says this?

steve2275

its no different than having to discard a dupe that is already placed from a previous battle

MHC

Quote from: steve2275 on February 22, 2015, 01:33:16 PM
its no different than having to discard a dupe that is already placed from a previous battle

These to situations do not seem the same to me.  In the case quoted above (placed from a previous battle), the placed card can never be discarded unless some other affect allows you to (home base inherent ability, opponent's species, etc).  So no matter when the card is drawn, the drawn card must be discarded.

In the second case (AOuser's question), both duplicates are in your hand.  If you had drawn both cards at the beginning of the battle, then you would be able to choose which one you discarded (and you would choose to discard the unusable one).  In the current situation, one card is drawn later than the other, but it isn't clear to me why you would not get to choose which card you discarded.  So I guess my question/confusion comes down to what the exact interpretation of "Draw X card(s), discard duplicates" is.  It seems like it is one of the following:
(1) Draw X card(s).  If any of those cards are duplicates or unusable, then discard those (newly drawn) cards.
(2) Draw X card(s).  If any of those cards are unusable, discard them.  If any of the cards are duplicates, then discard one of the (newly or previously drawn) duplicates from hand.

Steve2275, your answer suggests that interpretation (1) is how the rules work.  Is there some particular rule or meta-rule that says that is how to interpret "Draw X card(s), discard duplicates"?

drdeath25

I'm not sure of the official rule on this, but I agree with MHC. I think since both cards are in your hand, you could discard the freshly unusable 6e since your invisible woman died. I would think you would get the choice of which one of the duplicates to discard, since they are both in your hand. Its very different than discarding a duplicate of a card you have placed.

Then again thats just my opinion of how the game should be played, Its not based on any official rules that i know of.